Monday, December 14, 2009

"Overdoing it"


Sometimes it's hard to stop.

I've been getting back into running, feeling better about swimming and just now understanding how road cycling works, so the excitement about completing an IRONMAN next year has me doing a bit more training than our coaches have asked for. I definitely felt that on my run this morning.

I can look at this objectively now and say, "oops, I was overdoing it" but in the excitement of the moment it seems impossible to stop. It's the same if there's a problem to solve within a time limit: the player will utilize those last few seconds to try just one more method to finding the answer. Persistence, stubbornness, or just a general feeling of optimism that it will happen is what some people will describe as "digging deep"- great for short bursts but can cause serious regression when trying to build a foundation.

Training's not about the goal, it's about the process.

Patience, patience, patience.

--

Sunday: 1 hr cycling + 45min weights.
Monday: 7m tempo run w/running partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment